As you know Florida is in the Hurricane Watch for Thursday and as much as we will like to continue working during the storm, as a Network Administrator I do not recommend that. The UPS Battery Backups for all Nova Momentum Computer customers are setup to start the shutdown process of the server 5 minutes after power to the building is cut off. This is to give some servers plenty of time to shutdown properly without causing data damage but sometimes, services and software override this shutdown command causing the servers to stay powered until the battery runs out. DO NOT rely on the batteries to keep the server on during the storm.
Please plan with your staff accordingly on when to stop businesses and start the process of shutting down equipment. This will be the procedure to follow:
Tonight Wednesday October 5th starting at 5:00pm I will manually launch a Full Server Backup. Anything done on Thursday will be backup on a regular schedule but in case of an emergency the server will be restored back to October 5th.
On Thursday October 6th
- Protect the computers close to windows by either relocating them or by covering the computers and monitors with garbage bags.
- Remove any electronic from the floor, Computers, UPS batteries, Surge Protectors
- Power Down electronic equipment Computers, Monitors, Copiers, Printers, and UPS Batteries as well (UPS Batteries can be turned off by holding the power button)
- After all the equipment is turned off proceed to the server room and turn off the servers. In the event that you don’t know how, let me know so I can connect remotely and do it for you.
- Wait until the servers are powered down completely and then turn off the UPS Batteries as well, this normally should shutdown any internet equipment as well.
If you or any of your staff have any questions please contact me at 407-375-7650
Remember to have your staff join this Newsletter for important news and articles.