How to Backup QuickBooks Company File?
The QuickBooks backup process compresses data. The backup file will have the same filename as the company data file (unless you rename it), but it will have a.qbb filename extension, rather than a .qbw extension. A backup file must be restored before it can be opened.
To back up a company data file:
- Make sure that you have an external backup media in the appropriate drive or USB Port.
- From the QuickBooks File menu, choose Save Copy or Backup and selectBackup copy.
- In the Do you want to save your backup copy locally or online? selectLocal backup and Next.
- Browse to the external backup media in the appropriate drive or USB Port. At this time you can; add the date and time of the backup, limit the number of backup copies in the location, select the verification options and set a Reminder to backup when closing your company file. Choose OK.
- When do you want to save your backup copy? window will open, selectSave it now and Next.
- Verify that the correct company file name is displayed in the File Namesection and choose Save. QuickBooks Information window will open giving you the name and location of the backup, select OK.
You need to be in Single-user Mode to use the back up feature.